Sunday, November 29, 2009

My heart is FULL !

The way I start off my Thanksgiving, going on 9 years now, is by running the TURKEY TROT! I roped my cute cousin into running with me, so together we made up TEAM GUNNER!

Last year I ran WITH Gunner.......

This year I got to run FOR Gunner!

What a special privilege that was! I thought of my baby every single step, of all 6 1/2 miles! I just kept telling myself, this if for him, run fast for him, keep going for him, you can do something hard for him! It was so motivating to hear people yell "Im a runner for Gunner too" as we would run by them! He truly put the pep in my step, it was by far the best run I have ever had!




We celebrated Thanksgiving with the Goodman's this year! We truly have much to be thankful for! Here is the most updated pic, including the family's newest addition, little Rusty! A lot of people think the traditional Thanksgiving meal is overrated.. I have to beg to differ! I love and look forward to having a belly full of turkey, green bean casserole, and mashed potaotes with gravy!



The arrival of Thanksgiving brought much anxiety for me. The day after brought even more. I knew EXACTLY what I was doing at what time on that day last year...the more I thought about it, the more it consumed me, the memories came flooding in, and unfortunately so did the sadness! I just couldn't get over at how HUMBLED I was by how much ones' life could change in just a short year... truly, everything I once knew, really was no longer. I had no idea that I could be so HAPPY one minute, and so SAD the next. So, ironically, at about the same time I gave BIRTH to my special boy last year, I was crying my eyes out about the LOSS of him this year. My REALLY bad days, truly are getting fewer and farther between (which I am most grateful for) but, its on days like those that I find I am most grateful. I relish the moments I get to sit back and ponder about my baby and let my thoughts be FULLY consumed by him. I go through all my pictures of him and smell his clothes. A good cry is so cleansing! After, I felt empowered! I was determined to make the next day, his birthday, a good day! And it was.... it really was!



We couldn't wait to go pay our sweet baby a visit! It still seems so surreal that we own a little plot of land at the Mesa Cemetery...every time I drive there I still have to pinch myself. When we pulled up to the cemetery, my parents and sister with her hubby were already there visiting, so they got to join in on the fun!

When I went to go buy Gunns some flowers I couldn't decide which kind, so I decided to buy him mommy's favorite, ROSES! Nothing but the best for my baby! :)



We did a little balloon release for Gunner... we watched those balloons till we couldn't see them anymore.





To celebrate Gunns' birthday, we wanted to give him a present. We went shopping as a family and bought a shopping cart full of baby items. The girls had fun each picking out different things that they thought were a baby "must have".....

We put everything together in a cute basket......

Then delivered it to Banner Gateway, the hospital where Gunner was born. We told the OB nurses to give our "gift" to a special baby that was born on that day.

What an amazing feeling that was, even the girls felt it! Gunner is our little gift, that just keeps on giving! We decided we would do this every year in honor of Gunner's special day! As his memory continues to touch our lives, it will continue to touch the lives of others as well!




HAPPY 1ST BIRTHDAY MY GUNNER GENE! Your family misses you SO much! I can't help but wonder what you would look like or if you would be walking yet??..... I think about you every second of every day son! You are my drive that makes me want to be a better person! You make me focus on the things that are TRULY important in this life. You make me love and appreciate your big sisters more than ever! You make me love your daddy more because you looked so much like him, when I look at him, I see YOU and your big, blue eyes! You are missed my love, I hope we are down here making you proud! I LOVE YOU BUDDY!!

29 comments:

Val said...

Sunni Lynn! How i love you. You didnt tell me you were going to visit him :[ But its ok Im glad you got to make it. I love you guys so much and appreciate your wonderful examples!
Gunner- Happy Birthday handsome boy! Your Auntie Val loves and misses you!!
Were tryin our best down here and hope to someday be as wonderful as you!
Love youu.

Brandis said...

Totally bawling my eyes out here! I love all the pictures of your handsome boy. What a perfect way to spend Gunner's birthday and what a generous thing for you to do. I'm sure that whoever received that gift basket really appreciated everything you put into it. You guys are such great examples. Love you!

Kirsten said...

I absolutely LOVE the idea of the gift basket...so perfect! Gunner truly is touching lives of those he never met through his wonderful parents and big sisters! Love you guys!

CASSIE said...

What a special, special thing that is! I thought about you all day that day. Gunner is smiling big!

Jana said...

You are just so amazing! Here I am bawling reading your sweet post & I want you to know how much I think of Gunner as well. That basket idea is so neat & I just want you to know how admired & loved you & your family are. xoxo

Tara Fischbeck said...

What a perfect gift for Gunner! I am so impressed and I know Gunner is so proud of his family!! You guys are amazing and thanks for teaching me along your journey. Happy Birthday Gunner!

Mary Anne said...

Oh Sunni...thank you so much for that post. I know they don't come often :) but man you sure make a girl think of what's important...and cry like a baby. It was wonderful to see and talk to you at Thanksgiving. I kept meaning to tell you how absolutely beautiful you are in every way, but I just kept thinking it would be silly. But I do think that and want to tell you now! What a wonderful idea the gift basket was. You guys are such a blessing to so many.

Steph (and Bryant) said...

We were thinking about you guys and Gunns all day. The kids were happy to go visit the cemetary and remembered all the events that took place there. Thank you for loving my brother and for being such a wonderful family. We sure love you all.

The Tyler's said...

I'm just sitting here bawling my eyes out. The strength you all have amazes me. I'm sure it was a very hard day but you got through it and are such a great example to us all. I'm sad I missed the turkey trot this year.
Miss you tons! I would love to go visit Gunner grave site next summer when we come home!

Allyson said...

It was so good to get to see you at Thanksgiving! What a great idea to deliver that basket to the hospital. You truly have made the best out of something sad. You really are amazing. Just want you to know I think of you often.

CJB said...

Aw Sunni D, your post made me tear up. What a sweet way to celebrate. He will never be forgotten. I love the "I'm a runner for Gunner!" If I'm here on Thxgiving next year I'll run(walk) too! So clever. Love your guts girlie. You are my hero.

Aimee's Family Journal said...

Sitting here bawling! I hope you are able to find joy. I hope you are able to sleep well. I hope you are able to feel love! I hope you fell comfort in the love of those around you. You are so special. I have kept you in my prayers this weekend. You are so sweet to deliver that gift for the hospital. SO sweet Sunni!

Claire said...

I love you Sunni!

The Porter Post said...

I'm bawling reading this Sunni...You and your family are truly AMAZING!!! You have been in my thoughts and prayers constantly this past month, hope you're are doing well. We do the balloon release each year for my dad's birthday, it's such a great way to celebrate and remember him. But, I am truly touched by your basket idea...What a wonderful way to celebrate sweet Gunner! I love you so much Sunni! You are such a great example of faith, strength, hope, and love. Sending love and hugs to you and your family! Let's play sometime over Christmas break!! Love you!

Rees Family said...

Wow Sunni. What a sweet post. That must have been so hard to write. I hope you know how much we love your family and would do anything for you. I'm glad you were able to have a good day on his birthday. You were and are in our thoughts and prayers daily. Love ya girl!

Lisa said...

Sunni you are amazing! That gift basket and note was such a wonderful idea. You are truly inspired to help others!

Shelley Goodman said...

I always love looking at those sweet picturs of Gunner. What a great birthday tradition. I am sure the people who got the basket were so grateful, I know I would have been!

marcie said...

Sunni I sat here and cried through your whole post it was sweet. I still think about you and Trav and your girls all the time and pray for you guys, I'm glad the days are getting easier! I love ALL the Goodmans and your family :)

Breanna and Martin said...

Well it looks like you sure know how to make people cry...in the BEST way possible! I am also sitting here with tears streaming down and no sign of stopping. I wish we could have come with you to celebrate his birthday. That is one thing I was looking forward to during our trip, then when I realized that we wouldn't be there I was disappointed. Keep on doing what you're doing Sunni, know that you are being so strong and doing what Gunns would have you do. We love you guys and miss you immensely!
Love,
Martin and Bre

mom of 4 said...

LOve you guys! What an awesome thing to do for Gunner's birthday!

Aricka said...

I have never met you before, I stalk your blog from my sister-in-law Kristina Beck's blog. I have heard a lot of wonderful things about you. What you did for your son's birthday has no words to explain the heart warming feeling I got as I read your post. You seem like such a wonderful person and mother. You are an inspiration to mom's(even one's that have never met you.) So thank you for your postings they help me keep my priorities straight.

Tiffany said...

Such a sweet post Sunni. I don't think anyone who reads this will be left with dry eyes. You are such an amazing person and Gunner is so lucky to have you as his parents. He must be looking down being so proud of his parents and for the positive influence that you are in others lives. Thank you for sharing these special moments.

Brooke and Brett Martin said...

I get to go to bed in tears. TEARS...flowing...and they won't stop.
What a beautiful tradition...just beautiful.
I saw Val today at Rosa's! LOVE THAT GIRL!

Janie said...

It's hard not to cry when reading your post. What a wonderful way to memorialize his life by giving that basket of goodies away. Your experience has made me appreciate the sound of my baby crying in the middle of the night, even when I'd rather sleep than feed her, I am always happy to hear her cry.

McMemories said...

Hi Sunny,
I wanted you to know I have been thinking about you and your cute family!! This post was beautiful. Gunner has touched so many lives and he is thought of often!
What you guys did for his birthday was so great and I'm sure he is so proud of you all!!
♥♥♥♥♥♥
Lynds

Jen Olson Brown said...

This is one special boy up in heaven that he has a family like you rooting him encouragement. Congratulations on the run. I am so proud of you guys.

Kristen said...

WOW!! All I can say is that YOU ARE AWESOME!! love ya girl!

Brent T said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brent T said...
This comment has been removed by the author.